WYC Junior Sailing Program
The mission of the Wawasee Yacht Club Junior Sailing Program is to teach young people sailing and seamanship in a safe, fun, and structured environment that promotes sportsmanship, self-discipline, self-reliance, and a respect for nature and fellow sailors. The goal is to develop in each child an appreciation for, and a love of sailing; and confidence in his or her ability.
Who can participate?
- The program is open to all children ages 8 through 16.
When is WYC Junior Sailing?
- The Junior Sailing Program takes place over 4 weeks beginning July 6th. Each session lasts for one week, Monday through Friday. Classes are held in the morning, or in the afternoon. Schedule details and class availability can be found in the registration forms below.
How do I sign up?
- To register your child for Junior Sailing, simply print a registration form by clicking the link below. Complete the form and mail it to the address provided. Please include a check payable to the Wawasee Yacht Club with your completed registration document. Participants may sign up for multiple sessions. If you are registering more than one child, please complete separate registration forms for each participant.
Click HERE---->Junior Sailing Registration Forms
How do I get more information?
- Additional information can be found in our Junior Sailing Info Sheet. If you still have additional questions please contact our Program Director, Jeff Schmahl
Who are the instructors?
- Our dedicated and professional instructors will be leading all classes to ensure each participant receives the highest level of attention and instruction possible. Our experienced instructional staff includes junior sailing graduates, senior associate instructors, and WYC volunteers. Jeff Herdrich returns again this year as our Lead Instructor.
When do I need to register?
After record-breaking attendance last year, everyone involved with WYC Junior Sailing expects this year's program to be another outstanding experience for our young sailors and their families.
Class sizes are limited primarily by the number of boats we own. We expect that all classes will reach capacity well before Memorial Day Weekend. Please register early to ensure that your junior sailor can participate in this year's program. In order to provide for the safety of all participants, class sizes with be limited, and all are expected to fill up quickly. Those interested are encouraged to sign up early.
Junior Sailing Awards
The Wawasee Yacht Club recognizes two Junior Sailing participants each year with awards that have been endowed in memory of former members. These awards are presented at the WYC End-of-Season Awards Banquet on the Sunday evening of Labor Day weekend. Award recipients will be notified in advance and are invited to attend the awards program with their families.
- The B. W. Duck Memorial Award is presented annually to the WYC Junior Sailing participant who is considered to be the "best sailor" of the season. The recipient shall have demonstrated excellence in boat handling, seamanship, and conduct upon the water. The honoree shall have his or her name engraved upon the B.W. Duck Award, which shall remain on display at the Yacht Club.
- The Alfred Tag Snook Award is presented annually to the WYC Junior Sailing participant who best demonstrates "overall excellence" in the Junior Sailing class. The honoree will have demonstrated the Corinthian Spirit through outstanding classroom work, a high level of sportsmanship, respect for others, and sound sailing skills.